The ESVCE has several “working groups” which work on certain topics in depth. The outcome of such work can result in a position statement or public advice.
Cannabidiol (CBD) Working Group
- Dr Stephane Bleuer
- Dr Sylvia Masson
- Dr Matthieu Broussois
- The aims of the working group are to conduct: Scientific review about what is cannabidiol, what is the actual knowledge of its pharmacology and effects in dogs.
- Scientific review of the products that contains cannabidiol to make a list and to emphasize the main differences.
- Scientific review of the use of products containing cannabidiol on dog’s behavior.
- Scientific review of the different law regulations worldwide concerning CBD and THC.
Shelter Group Program
- The first aim of this working group is the finalization of a flyer destined to future owners of shelter dogs
- Next steps for the shelter group:
- Assessment of shelters P&P’s in Europe with the aim of a paper in a peer-review journal. (% of euthanasia, or no-kill policy, % rehoming, % of re-relinquishment, kind of breeds relinquished, duration before adoption, dog’s temperament assessment, etc…), building further upon available literature¹
- Define an ethical charter for European Shelters (% of euthanasia, number of dogs/ cage, number of cats/ Cage, free outdoors access, off-leash walks, on leash walks, training methods, “enrichment”, employee training, etc…)
- ESVCE can propose a label for European animal shelters after examination of their applications.
- ESVCE shelter group should be a preferred contact for the European commission for animal welfare.
¹Haverbeke, A., Pluijmakers, J., Diederich, C., 2015. Behavioral evaluations of shelter dogs: Literature review, perspectives, and follow-up within the European member states’ legislation with emphasis on the Belgian situation. Clinical Research Article. Journal of Veterinary Behavior: Clinical Applications and Research, 10 (1): 5-11.